The fullest presentation of FairPay.
A nice summary of the book, and the concept, is in the Foreword by Adrian Payne.
A Novel Revenue Architecture to Monetize Digital Goods.
Practice Paper on FairPay (2/26/18) - excellent introduction
Richard Reisman, Marco Bertini (ESADE Business School)
(Brief recap in ESADE Knowledge (3/19/18)
Three Building Blocks to Monetize a Digital Business)
When Selling Digital Content,
Let the Customer Set the Price.
Richard Reisman, Marco Bertini (ESADE B-School) (11/18/13)
(Very brief - the above journal paper expands on this)
FairPayZone Blog Posts
This FairPayZone blog explores FairPay at various levels and in various business use cases.
The following posts are recommended for general orientation:
FairPay and Pricing Strategy in General -- Finding Value!
- Finding Value in The Subscription Economy
- Value-Based Pricing Is Transforming B2B -- Now for B2C...
- The Missing Piece of the Membership Puzzle -- Agreeing on Value for Each Member
- Beyond the Deadweight Loss of "All You Can Eat" Subscriptions
- Beyond Freemium -- Free? Paid? Freemium?... Finding Whatever Works
- Paywall 2.0 ...and Paywall 3.0 -- Focus on the Customer!
- So Last Century! - It's Time to End the Tyranny of Set Prices
- Winning Back Lost Customers -- Before They Get Lost
- "E-Books Are Reading You" -- How That Enables a New and Far Better Economics
- Ad-blocking -- Kicking and Screaming to Win-Win Value Propositions
- Cutting the Gordian Knot of Price Setting: FairPay, Pay Walls, Hurdles, and Simplicity
- The Long Tail of Prices -- Uncoil it with FairPay
Business Use Cases: Journalism, TV/Video, Music, Apps, Non-Profits, ...
- Patron-izing Journalism -- Beyond Paywalls, Meters, and Membership
- No, Peggy, That is Not "All There Is" to News Reader Revenue!
- "Invisibly"? -- Or Visibly? ..."Finding the New Revenue Stream Publishers Dream Of"
- Panic in the Streets! Now People are Ready to Patron-ize Journalism!
- What Lies Beyond Paywalls -- A Better Way
- "Subscription-First" ...Why Not Subscriber-First???
- How Blendle Could Do Much Better with FairPay
- "Why should I pay you?" - Bezos' Washington Post - a New Business Model for Journalism
- Pierre Omidyar: Adventures in New Business Models for Journalism
- Times Premier? [/Insider?] -- What is it really worth? ...FairPay can tell
- Post-Bundling -- Packaging Better TV/Video Value Propositions with 20-20 Hindsight
- The Future of the Music Business -- The Artist is King with FairPay
- FairPay for the App Store -- A Radical Pricing Process for Higher Revenue
- Reinventing Subscription Platforms With FairPay -- for Apple, Google, and others...
- A Better Revenue Strategy for Non-Profits in the Digital Era
- FairPay “Free Trial”/“Survey” Mode – Easing into the Waters
- Other businesses, including books, games, and Groupon-style coupon services for non-digital services, are addressed in other posts. (Try the search box.)
Process Flow as a Repeated Game
- FairPay Changes the "Game" of Commerce
- Guiding FairPay Pricing for Control and Predictability
- FairPay Pricing -- Some Process Diagrams
Adaptively Seeking Win-Win Customer Relationships -- A New Economics of FairPay
- Price = Value
- The Ghost of Pricing Future -- A Thought Experiment
- Harnessing the Demons of The Digital Economy
- An Invisible Handshake for The Digital Wealth of Nations
- Win-Win Customer Journeys -- With Dialogs on Value
- Customer Journeys of Value -- Measuring the Elements of Value
- Partners, not Suckers -- From Price Discrimination to Value Discrimination
- Price Discrimination Can Be Good!
- WTF?: A New, Better, Warm-Blooded Capitalism -- Linking Profit to Human Values
- How Market Commerce Can Become More Cooperative, Fair, and Human
- Business Model Generation with a new spin: FairPay Revenue Models
- How Consumers Can Nudge Corporations for Good
- Turning the Invisible Hand to Create Shared Value -- The FairPay Strategy
Behavioral Economics Underpinnings -- Profiting from The Human Side of Consumers
- Making Customers Want to Pay You -- Research on How FairPay Changes the Game
- Finding Good and Fair Customers -- Where Are the Sweet Spots?
- Profiting from Habit -- Seamless Monetization
- Thinking Fast and Slow about FairPay: A New Psychology for Commerce in a Networked Age
- Pay What You Want -- Still Crazy After All These Years?
- Tipping, Fair Pay, and FairPay
What others say about FairPay
- Adrian Payne, Professor of Marketing, University of New South Wales Business School and Visiting Professor, Cranfield School of Management, Cranfield University, and author of fourteen books, including the first text to be published on Relationship Marketing:Foreword to my book, FairPay
- John Blossom, Consultant: Pay as You Exit: FairPay Explores New Content Pricing Discovery Regimes
Video and Slide Introduction
Video and slides of Reisman presentations
Sample FairPay Offer
This sample offer letter to consumers shows how a newspaper might frame FairPay as a privileged benefit to regular patrons – to enable them to participate in a win-win pricing process and personalize their value propositions – as an alternative to a standard freemium "soft paywall."
Original Introduction to FairPay
Still the most complete presentation, not much the worse for age (6/20/10)
FairPay: The Future of a Radical Pricing Process
NMIMS Management Review
FairPay Relationship Pricing: An Adaptive, Value-Based Strategy for Consumer Markets
Technical notes on exemplary algorithm details
Free consultation to those interested in evaluating and applying FairPay is offered by Richard Reisman. (fairpay [at] teleshuttle [dot] com)
Help assembling teams of academic collaborators who can assist in the design and evaluation of trials is also offered.
Scholars who have contributed to the development of FairPay and have interest in assisting with research trials include:
- Marco Bertini, co-author of the HBR Blog post and a more extensive paper on FairPay pending publication, is Chair of the marketing department at ESADE in Barcelona, Spain. He is considered a leading expert in the area of pricing strategy, is a prolific author in HBR and other leading business and academic journals, and has been working for some time on many of the strategies that FairPay builds on. (Via Dan Ariely and Ayelet Gneezy.)
- Adrian Payne, Professor of Marketing, University of New South Wales Business School and Pennie Frow, Professor and Program Director, Master of Marketing at University of Sydney Business School. They have collaborated with Reisman on a presentation and a paper on FairPay in development, and are co-authors of Strategic Customer Management: Integrating Relationship Marketing and CRM,the first textbook on combining those methods, as well as authors of many other influential books and papers in leading publications.
- Heather Caruso, Director, Center for Decision Research, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago (via Richard Thaler.)
Richard Reisman is a practitioner in online media and e-commerce, and the technologies that drive that, and has been involved in pricing of digital offerings since the 1970s. See bio. (Disclosures)
[This page is evolving -- check back for added links.]